Sunday, April 3, 2016

My Home Office of Comfort and Baby

So many work-at-home or telework articles emphasize the need for a home office or at least a desk. The U.S. tax code is even written to allow a home office write-off if it’s used for strictly business purposes. I never understood this mentality.

Our house is too small for a dedicated home office, so that’s out. I don’t find office desks particularly comfortable, so why would I voluntarily subject myself to sitting at one all day if I don’t have to? I don’t work any better sitting at a desk than elsewhere.

I work best when comfortable. Two jobs ago, I got my first private office and was finally able to kick off my shoes and curl up my legs into the chair when no one was around. I sat cross-legged, legs to one side, and only sometimes upright with legs crossed, whatever I fancied at the moment. I love a hot pair of high-heeled pumps, but I don’t need to wear them all the time, and I prefer barefoot over any footwear.

Now, I work at home. The only people who see me are my husband and my baby except for those rare video calls. I dress well when I go out, but when I’m home, I dress however I please. Usually that’s still in a nice dress with jewelry and make-up if I can manage it, but with the baby, dressing isn’t always easy. I don’t wear shoes, I don’t sit at a desk, and I’m not surrounded by staplers, pens, and other office ambiance.

My office is my living room overlooking my porch garden, my backyard trees, and the lake. My desk chair is my main couch, though I sometimes switch it up and use the other couches. My desk is my lap, my couch cushions, and my living room table. Instead of upright at a desk hunched over a computer, I sit back or recline on the couch with my laptop. I’m comfortable, I’m relaxed, and I’m ready to work!

And of course, I almost always have my work companion: Josephine my 3-month-old. I’ve taken some quick shots with my phone over the past few days to highlight how she usually spends the time with me: sleeping, nursing, or awake on my lap or propped against the couch cushions. She usually catnaps during the day so I almost never get away with putting her in her crib while she naps, so she sleeps contently on me. I get my work done with one or two hands, depending on her position. When she’s awake and wants to play, I pause work to play with her on the couch, on her play mat, in her bouncer, in her swing, or elsewhere. Because she’s not yet mobile, she’s an easy work companion!

I also have a few additional work companions: three cats, a dog, and a husband when he’s around. It makes for a pleasant work environment! I’ve learned how to get what I need to do done without being too distracted. That is, unless the baby is crying. Then all bets are off.




 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment