Wednesday, April 20, 2016

An "Unmentionable" Benefit to being a WAHM

This isn’t one of those types of blogs. But it isn’t a family blog, either. I’m an adult with adult issues; no use labeling them as taboo.

One amazing benefit of being a SAHM/WAHM is that when my husband also works from home for the day, we can spend time together. We chat, we sometimes go out for lunch, and sometimes we can be intimate.

My husband doesn’t work from home regularly, maybe once a week if he feels like it and if his work schedule allows. Today isn’t a full day of working from home, just the morning, which worked well for us. He has an ideal time to “get busy” – mid to late morning. This usually means our martial activities occur on weekends. However, if we’re together during a weekday morning, we take the chance.

During our child-free days, we only had to consider what worked well for us. Now, we have a third person to consider. She usually does nap in the mid to late morning, but on top of me. Transferring her to another surface to sleep during a light nap is difficult, sometimes impossible. Sometimes she’ll stay asleep when I move her, but more likely she’ll wake up and immediately want to be held again.

This morning was a close call. She drifted off to sleep in my arms, light catnaps that she would fall into and wake from just as easily and suddenly. When it appeared to me that she was in deep enough sleep, I slowly transferred her to the swinging chair, one of her favorite places to sleep. She stirred, then closed her eyes again and the nap continued. My husband and I breathed a sigh of relief.

That lasted less than a minute. We had only just begun when I heard the movement of a blanket and saw that she was wide awake once more. But she wasn’t complaining, so we went for it. And success! Just in time, too.

There were days when we’d cuddle in bed after, not wanting or needing to move from each other’s arms. Not these days, not usually. I had just enough time to savor the aftermath before needing to calm an increasingly vocal baby who had spent enough time entertaining herself. It won’t always be like this, I know. Someday, we’ll have a mobile and talking child to sneak distract!

Despite the challenges, mid-day mid-week sex is a great benefit to being a WAHM.

No comments:

Post a Comment