Thursday, April 14, 2016

A Calm, Quiet Home Office Environment? Ha!

My husband is working from home with meetings on and off all day. I can hear the stress in his voice as he talks on the phone. After working a little this morning, I was out for a long lunch meeting with a reporter talking to me about a story. The baby and I got to tour the local newspaper headquarters with him – how cool! I’m about to head out with the baby for a late afternoon meeting. We’re home for only an hour and a half stop-over to get a few things done.

The baby is going through a singing phase. She makes loud squeaks, shrieks, and squeals, neither happy nor unhappy, just to test her voice. I don’t want to discourage her from vocalizing, and she wouldn’t understand my shushes anyway. Instead, I’m trying to distract her and move her around the house away from my husband’s teleconferences. It’s all I can do to keep her happy on her play mat or on my lap as I work on my laptop.

The troublesome noisy cat likes to pick fights with one of our other cats. The dog doesn’t want to miss the action and races over to the cat fight, prepared to bark. The baby is finally comfortable and quiet nursing, but I have to get up to separate the cats before there’s even more noise. In my head I’m hoping that my husband’s phone is on mute during all this chaos.

Before I know it, it’s time to leave for my next meeting. Sometimes working from home isn’t as calm and distraction-free as I’d like. Thankfully, there’s still a day left in the workweek. Friday, I’m in love!

Being a WAHM can be a productivity sacrifice. I can be very productive work-wise on some days and much less productive during others. Today was one of those days. I keep my spirits up and resolve to accomplish more the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment